Foolishness since 2007

Foolishness since 2007
Foolishness since 2007

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Well Dressed

Bacall and I lament the passing of dressing up. This is from CBS Sunday Morning:

 

There was a time when a woman really made an entrance! Remember? Skirts swished, heads turned . . . and it wasn't for a red carpet event, either.

It was for dinner, or going shopping.

What happened?

These days, anything goes. Shorts and flip-flops are fine for any occasion. And so are pajamas.

Dressing up? A quaint and bygone custom.

Have we become a nation of slobs?

Professor Linda Przybyszewski teaches a class called "A Nation of Slobs" at the University of Notre Dame.

"My students very often are floored by the beauty of some of the vintage pictures I show them."

Proper dressing was so important, it was taught in school, from first grade through college. And baring all, she says, is not an artistic ideal.

"There's got to be a happy medium between wearing a burka and running around half-naked," said Przybyszewski.

So, Giles asked, were the Sixties involved in taking us down this spiral.

"I think style just moved toward simplicity. and eventually slipped into stupidity," said Przybyszewski.

Jared Clemmensen said dressing sloppily is an intentional "I don't care" statement. "I see people in the dining hall, and they're wearing pajama bottoms. I'm like, 'Are you really wearing those? Like, are you trying to make a statement?'

 

Being well dressed still counts for something at OBB.

lingerie garterbelt26lingerie garterbelt47

5 comments:

  1. THIS is why I love to dress up! I don't dress for others; I dress because when I do, I feel better about Myself. When I go out in public in 'full face', in my best lingerie under My clothes; my clothes carefully chosen, I turn heads everywhere I go, and I LIKE it. Partner has just discovered the joy of what he calls 'grownup clothes', and he loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say the two lovely ladies in the pics are more like "well undressed". And I heartily approve of their choice of outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mentioned this on another blog, remember ladies slips? It was a wonderful thing when you got to catcha glimpse of a slip.
    These are lovely pictures of two lovely ladies, love the panties.
    Thanks
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another very elegant post. And yes, 'dressing up' seems to be a lost art.

    Cora and I are addicted to watching movies and TV series from the 50's and early 60's (Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone, etc.) and its amazing to see how the women dressed then. And its obvious they are well girdled and sometimes a glimpse of a garter or stocking top shows up.

    And while it may be a bygone era, when I take Cora out to one of the nice restaurants here in Seattle, you can be sure that she will be turning heads wearing her dresses, heels and seamed stockings.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated.