Monday, February 4, 2013

Drafting A Post

I revealed the other week that I have ADD. In my youth, it was said that I was hyperactive. [I don’t think ADD had been invented] ADD people live in the moment, we bore easily and rules are not in our universe. We act without thinking of consequences. This sort of behavior has no place in a ridgid classroom. Hence doing things like talking inappropriately resulted in a paddling. I was always being told that I must control myself.

Another face of ADD is that we appear to be quite bright. I suppose we have to be as we miss a lot of what is going on around us. We must be able to piece fragments together and make a whole. Most people have memories of childhood. I have snatches of flashes of events. You remember David with blond hair in the fourth grade. I recall faceless bodies without names.

In my 40’s I finally figured out that my problem was ADD and that a drug that makes “normal” people hyperactive, made time slow down for me. It was the first time that I understood how normal people respond to the world. I could sit in one place for long periods quite content. I quit taking the drug once I could imitate it’s effect on me.

I say all this to relate how I develop a draft post of any length. While I am typing a sentence, two other tasks are happening. I am revising the sentence being typed and forming the next sentence. If that sounds dicey, believe me it is for me. Composition takes quite a bit of time and thoughts drop through the cracks all the time.

So when you find my posts rambling and not all that coherent, just think that I am not taking my meds.

1 comment:

  1. I am soooo familiar with the comment "Have you had your meds?" when I do some hairbrained thing. Welcome to the world of aduld ADHD.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated.