Foolishness since 2007

Foolishness since 2007
Foolishness since 2007

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rules

images (1)

There are all sorts of rules for living in society. Breaks the big ones and you will spend time behind bars. There are even rules that allow a prosecutor to ignore evidence and common sense to convict innocent people. Rules give most people a sense of security. When people notice others breaking rules, they may feel that society is breaking down. They may seek more rules to make themselves feel more secure. At the extreme they become control freaks.

For others, rules are a hindrance and they seek to short circuit them at every opportunity. Running with scissors can be exhilarating. I rebelled against rules in English class. Tense? Past participial? Future perfect! Give me a break, there must be more to life. What’s happening on the play ground?

So for the book, my grammatical mistakes are due to early rebellion with a dose of ADD for good measure. Those who graduated from public schools in the last 25 years have a different excuse, the dumbing down of the curriculum by the teacher’s union, who, like me, would not know a gerundive phrase from a beached whale.

Somehow I managed to graduate from a second tier college with honors, with a minor in English Lit and compliments on my writing from my Freshman English profs.

images (2)

I do proof read our posts, and errors still get published. My regrets. Certainly, there are more important things that demand our attention.

 

This was on my mind.

3 comments:

  1. I love the first picture! And I've always enjoyed running with scissors:)

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a ham, I have done it in group setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What disturbs me most is the current crop of media talking heads who abuse the language daily. We have a radio "news person" who does not know the difference between singular and plural: The board passed their agenda unanimously. . .. When each day you get butchered language you eventually stop listening. And they are so proud of their journalism/English majors.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated.