Foolishness since 2007

Foolishness since 2007
Foolishness since 2007

Friday, August 19, 2011

Making a Paddle - II

Thanks to some questions about yesterday’s post, we have a post for today

 

Joey asked:

How long and wide is the business end of the Teacher's paddle? Also, do you hand sand the edges after you make the cuts?

It’s 7 x 2.5 inches. I round off the edges with a router and then hand sand finishing with 400 grit.

Ronnie asked:
They look lovely Bogey. How long did it take you to make them and where did you get the wood? Did you use a pattern to shape them?

A paddle takes a few hours total spread out over two or three days to allow the polyurethane to dry between coats. Cutting the paddle out and routing it only takes maybe 30 minutes.

I have used wood picked up from construction sites to buying it at hardware stores. The birch came from Lowe’s. They sell small pieces for small projects.

I made a paper pattern for this paddle. I finally got the size and weight right after several failures. It’s 98% sting.

I just cut and test until I get it right. The testing is fun!

Hobbes asked:

Do you ever have problems with bruising from these paddles? Seems like they would be pretty heavy on bare skin and leave bruises . .

Our experience with bruising has a LOT more to do with the spankee than the paddle. Some people bruise very easily. The teacher’s paddle is light and stingy and I cannot recall anyone being bruised with it. Tho I can think of one lass that bruises being shown a paddle.

 

PS. The paddle was out of the drawer yesterday and today!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I am going to make a teacher's paddle in my workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering Bogey.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated.