A woman on a piano has always been way up there for me. You may recall the scenes in The Fabulous Baker Boys and Pretty Woman.
I think back to the days I spent in jazz bars in San Francisco. And a talented singer I got to know in a club on Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines. She made moves on that piano that were so graceful. Do you recall Dixie Carter as Julia Sugarbaker doing a sultry number on top of a piano?
Dixie was a Southern Belle. Bacall is mine.
5 rules that a true Southern Belle should live by:
- It’s manners, not money, that really matter.
- If your friends need you, be there. Period.
- Always wear clean underwear (seriously, this may seem like a given, but it’s REALLY a given if your mother is from the South and delicately explains to you as you’re growing up that you could have a wreck or become incapacitated and wind up in the hospital at a moment’s notice. And that is most definitely a situation in which you don’t want to be caught wearing underwear that’s either holey or dirty!).
- Always be ready to share the news, but keep the family secrets.
- Both your silver and your pearls should always be real.