Foolishness since 2007

Foolishness since 2007
Foolishness since 2007

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Go Cut A Switch


If you insist on behaving like a child, then I will treat you like one. Come here, please.' I'd heard words like that with that certain tone more often than I care to remember, and my knees always turned to jelly.
Being told to go and cut a switch was what you heard when you had pushed your Mom a little too far. It never failed to bring on weak legs, nausea and maybe tears of remorse. Happened to me, happened to Bacall.
Thankfully, we did not have peach trees. We always heard those were the worst. But we had plenty of switch bushes and you knew you better bring back switches that would please her.
I got the same treatment in grade school when I was sent to fetch the paddle and bring it back. That was misery walking down the hall holding a paddle that anyone looking out of the open classroom doors could see and know that it was going to be put to use on me.
I have used this in play scenes, telling the naughty lass to bring me the paddle. Once sending her to Bacall to ask her for the paddle.
Bacall took it as an opportunity to paddle her first and then sent her along to me. That was not in the script. She told me that Bacall paddled harder than I did. I took that as a challenge and I made sure that she had no further complaints.
It’s all part of my life long fascination with paddles. Having her hand me the paddle or seeing her holding the paddle she is going to use on me – both work equally well for me.

Before you run outside and cut a switch, do consider that you can break the skin with one without trying very hard. I suggest you start with thin ones and use several at the same time. This will soften the effect a little. You will have lines.

3 comments:

  1. Living near some woods I have often been sent to cut a switch. My partner lived in the US for a while so she is familiar with that expression. I get quite a buzz from cleaning off the twigs and leaves knowing that the long thin branches will soon be in contact with my bottom.
    I would like to be switched outdoors one day but it is unlikely to happen.
    Michael M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caution is necessary, as you note. We have used willow switches and they can nick the skin if you are not careful. BUT the whole operation is wonderfully evocative and there is nothing like the anticipation of getting your own switch and then feeling the bee like stings. The lines are a nice extra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say "switch" to a paddle.
    Have a "fantasy" become a reality!
    Joe
    jangel_07075@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated.